We will collect, store, use and disclose your information for the purposes and in the ways set out in this policy.
Information we collect
or otherwise engage with us over email or letter, on the phone or in person. For example, if you decide to complete an application, you’ll be asked to provide details such as your contact information (name, email address, mailing address, and telephone number), age group, gender and details relevant to your relationship with Debt Managers.
If you prefer us not to collect any personal information, please don’t provide us with these details, although if you don’t provide us with any information we ask for, it might mean we’re unable to deliver the assistance you need.
In addition, we may:
- Collect information from publicly available sources;
- Collect information about your personal finances from credit reporting agencies, current and previous employers and others like a bank or lender who may have information relevant to your credit history;
- Check this information against records held by government agencies (like the NZTA); and
- Record any telephone calls or other conversations between us and use those recordings for training, evidence or security purposes.
What we use your personal information for
We may use your personal information for any of the following:
- Assess whether you’ll be able to make any payments without coming under financial pressure and manage your account, including monitoring payments;
- Let you know about changes to your account by message, email, telephone or post;
- Provide other services to you and manage your relationship with us;
- Provide you with information about our services that we think may be of interest to you. If you don’t want to receive this information just email us at email@example.com with the word STOP in the subject bar;
Help us run our business and meet any legal obligations we have; and Conduct market research and statistical analysis.
Who we share information with
We may provide your information to:
- Members of the DebtManagers Group (being any company or business that is associated with DebtManagers), our agents and people who provide us with services;
- Reputable market research organisations (you can opt out of this if you prefer);
- Credit reporting agencies who may hold and use that information to provide their credit reporting services;
- Debt collection agencies and law firms;
- Anyone we transfer our rights and obligations to in connection with your account or products, or that we are considering transferring them to;
- Anyone else we need to contact to carry out your instructions;
- Third parties where it is necessary for the sale of one of our assets or our business; and
- Anyone we are otherwise permitted or required to disclose that information to by law.
We won’t provide your personal information to anyone outside DebtManagers or the DebtManagers Group for marketing purposes except as set out in this policy.
Compliance with the law
We may sometimes be legally required to give your personal information to someone. For example, to the police or a government agency like the Inland Revenue. But, we will only provide that information if we reasonably believe the person asking for it is properly authorised to do so or that we are required or permitted by law to provide it, and we will always try to let you know beforehand (unless we are prevented from doing so by law or practically). We may also disclose any information when it’s necessary to prevent physical harm, financial loss or where we suspect illegal activity.
How we protect your personal information
We maintain reasonable safeguards to protect against unauthorised access, use, disclosure, alteration or destruction of your personal information and we comply with our obligations under the Privacy Act 2020. Information may be stored physically or electronically and will be kept securely.
We will take reasonable steps to ensure your information is accurate which depends primarily on you providing us with the correct information and keeping it updated. You can check your information and if it’s incorrect, ask us to update it.
We won’t give your personal information to anyone else except in the circumstances set out in this policy or in any other agreement you have with us.
For any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We may revise this policy from time to time. If we decide to, we’ll post the revised policy here. We suggest you check for changes every now and again. The effective date of the policy is at the top of this page.
It’s simple to manage and control how you receive communications from us, and the type of communications you receive. While we must be able to contact you about your account, you can choose the method of contact you’d prefer to receive from us.
To unsubscribe from marketing emails, click the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of the email or email us at email@example.com. You can use the same address to unsubscribe from text messages and manage mail or phone communications.
Updating your details
You have the right under the Privacy Act 2020 to see the information we hold about you and you can ask us to correct any mistakes. If we don’t agree to make the change, you can ask us to include a note on your personal information saying you asked for a correction.
You agree that the information we give to credit reporting agencies about you may include details about your repayment history, whether any account is current and of any overdue or dishonoured payments. We can also give them your Driver Licence and other information we hold. This is known as positive credit reporting, because it isn’t only about payments that haven’t been made. The credit reporting agency can use this information to provide their services to their clients (subject to their obligations under the Credit Reporting Privacy Code).
If you’d like to know more about credit reporting or your rights please visit www.privacy.org.nz We take your privacy seriously. So if you have any questions, comments or concerns about our privacy practices, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.